About the Program
The Apprenticeship In Motion (AIM) program promotes and expands registered, nontraditional apprenticeship activity in the Mountain State. This collaborative group of partners identifies, standardizes and develops courses that are needed statewide in order to increase and improve the registered apprenticeship programs within West Virginia.
The AIM program provides a host of benefits to both businesses and individuals in West Virginia.
What is a Modern Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships are a combination of classroom and on-the-job training.
Companies develop apprenticeships (courses & on-the-job-training) specific to their unique needs. AIM connects these companies to resources for developing a quality workforce, and also assists with obtaining training dollar and methods to recruit, upskill and retain employees.
Nationwide, apprenticeship numbers have grown 68% since 2013 with more than 633,000 participating employees in 2019. Over 1,000 different occupations can be registered apprenticeships in the United States.
Benefits of Apprenticeships to Businesses:
- Reduces recruitment, turnover, and workers’ compensation costs
- Provides custom training and results in highly skilled employees
- Results in higher productivity
- Boosts a more diverse workforce
- Fosters employee loyalty
- Builds a steady pipeline to talent
Benefits of Apprenticeships to Employees:
- On-the-job training from experienced professionals
- Technical education alongside apprenticeship experience
- Nationally recognized credential of qualifications
- Increased wages with new skill mastery
- Improved skills and competencies that lead to career advancement
Want to learn more?
For questions, contact:
West Virginia’s Advanced Career Education (ACE) also supports skill building and certification opportunities for job seekers.