The Department of Commerce is dedicated to improving the quality of life for all West Virginians by strengthening our communities and expanding the state's economy to create more opportunities and better jobs. The Community Development Division of the West Virginia Development Office assists communities in preparing for economic development opportunities and administers state and federal programs designed to make needed civic improvements and to attract private sector investments.
Role of Community Development Division
- Support existing businesses in the expansion and retention of their operations.
- Attract new businesses to locate in the state.
- Generate new leads and prospects of potential investors.
- Diversify West Virginia’s economy by marketing to targeted industries.
- Provide comprehensive development assistance.
- Provide research, planning and technical support.
- Work with local governments and economic developers to improve the quality of life in communities.
Programs administered by Community Development
- Community Participation Grant Program (CPGP)
- Local Economic Development–Certified Development Community (LED–CDC)
- Waste Coal
- Main Street/ON TRAC
- Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC)
- Neighborhood Investment Program (NIP)
- Small Cities Block Grant (SCBG)
- Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF)
- Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP)