West Virginia Executive Loan Program
Leave Your Mark on West Virginia
Major market transitions require bold, innovative thinking. In response, the West Virginia Development Office (“WVDO”) is rolling out a loaned executive program to capture new and unrealized opportunities for the Mountain State. Join our team and help West Virginia reach its potential
West Virginia Executive Loan Program (“EXCEL WV”)
EXCEL WV is a special opportunity for top-level talent to share their expertise with the WVDO. Participants will confront challenging economic development issues and help grow jobs in West Virginia. Participants will solve problems, improve processes, and design new programs to change the trajectory of West Virginia.
How will EXCEL WV work?
Program partners will “loan” their talented leaders to the WVDO for a defined period not to exceed one year. These loaned executives may participate on a part-time or full-time basis and be on-site or serve remotely. All participants will be expected to be fully-committed to the program while involved. During their tenure, participants will remain employees of their host company or institution. The WVDO will organize and administer the program in conjunction with a volunteer steering committee comprised of distinguished business leaders from across the state.
Why Participate in EXCEL WV?
- Loaned Executives will be mentored by some of West Virginia’s top business and thought leaders, and will have the opportunity to work directly with WVDO clients interested in West Virginia.
- Employers should participate because their loaned employees will enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime experience to help grow the state’s economy, while further developing their employees as future leaders for the state.
Who Should Participate in EXCEL WV?
This will be a highly-selective program and multi-disciplinary team. We are seeking engineers, lawyers, accountants, sales persons, business executives, logisticians, economists, technologists, and others. Participants must be passionate about West Virginia and committed to its success.
EXCEL WV Timeline
- Begin 4th quarter, 2017
- Program will run 6-12 months with applications reviewed every 6 months
Your commitment allows the West Virginia Development Office
to make a meaningful difference in the future of West Virginia.
For more information contact:
Kris N. Hopkins
Executive Director, West Virginia
1900 Kanawha Blvd. E.
Building 3, Suite 600
Charleston, WV 25305
Attorney 2 Position for the West Virginia Department of Commerce
Travel Required: Occasionally
Level/Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Position Type: Full-time
Start Date: As soon as possible
Under the supervision of the General Counsel for the Department of Commerce, the Attorney 2 position performs legal work for various agencies within the Department.
In this role, the Attorney 2 will work closely with the Office of the Secretary and will help must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and will be responsible for:
- Solving problems
- Leading teams
- Helping design new strategies to grow job opportunities for West Virginians
- Handling diverse legal issues related to state government operations, compliance with federal regulations, federal grants, and private industry
- Legal research and writing primarily related to economic development policies, incentives, and strategy
- Assisting with ongoing litigation, administrative grievances, and other legal disputes before other quasi-judicial forums
- Drafting and reviewing contracts with government entities, quasi-government entities, non-profits and corporations through various programs, including job training, community development, business development and federal programs
- Drafting and tracking legislation
- Drafting and tracking legislative rules
- Providing counsel and legal advice to various agencies and their leadership
- Helping manage property acquisition programs
- Representing agencies and/or the Department in public meetings
Educational Requirements and Qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited school of law
- Licensed in good standing to practice law in the State of West Virginia
- Two years of increasingly responsible full-time experience in the practice of law
- Transactional experience in real estate and property law
- Strong understanding of business and finance concepts, business formation, tax laws, and raising capital
- Strong problem solving skills
- Sound legal and practical judgment
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Securities, private equity, and/or debt financing experience a plus
About the West Virginia Department of Commerce: The Department is focused on advancing West Virginia by growing high-quality jobs, promoting tourism, and preserving natural resources. The Department houses nine separate agencies, including the Development Office, Office of Tourism, Department of Natural Resources, Division of Labor, Division of Forestry, WorkForce West Virginia, Office of Miners Health Safety and Training, Geologic and Economic Survey, and Coal Board.
About the Development Office: A large portion of the job will focus on supporting the Development Office serve its clients and to help it succeed in a rapidly changing business environment. The Development Office supports existing businesses in West Virginia and recruits new businesses to locate in West Virginia. It has offices in Nagoya, Japan, and Zurich, Switzerland.
Send Resumes To:
Subject Line: Attention HR Director Re: Attorney 2
The State of West Virginia does not discriminate based on race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or military service in its policies, or in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs, services or activities.
Business & Industrial Development, Economic Development Representative
Under general supervision, this is experienced level business development work. The objective is to identify growth companies and facilitate business investment and job growth in the State of West Virginia.
The position reports directly to the Director of Business & Industrial Development in the West Virginia Development Office.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in a relevant field such as industrial development, finance, economics, marketing, etc.
Two years of full-time paid professional experience in a relevant position such as business development, sales, marketing, banking, consulting, marketing, commercial real-estate or economics.
Successful track record in negotiating and closing complex transactions.
Two years of successful sales, business development exceeding performance metrics.
The ideal candidate for the position will be:
- Leader: Recognized as an effective leader and goal focused motivator.
- Team Oriented: Able to work in a collaborative culture. Track record of success in team setting, extracurricular activities, etc.
- Purpose Driven: Believes in the mission to catalyze opportunities for West Virginia
- Motivated: Self-starter with great time management skills
- Achievement Oriented: Consistently have attained/exceeded individual and team goals
- Competitive: Loves to compete, thinks strategically about the path to victory, and puts in the work to succeed.
- Highly Intelligent: A quick study, able to grasp business drivers and position our assets for success.
- Disciplined: Brings a proven ability to execute without supervision.
- Collaborative: Leverages the strengths of others while personally supporting and enabling others to succeed.
- Open Communicator: Excellent listener; proven ability to negotiate with all constituents.
- Credible: A reputation for sustained, principle-centered, win-win relationships
- Curious: Has a genuine drive for continuous learning and a better understanding of the world.
Extensive state, national, and some international travel may be required.
Send Resumes to:
Rock Creek Development Park
Gateway to Growth and Revitalization in Southern West Virginia
In January 2016, Governor Earl Ray Tomblin announced plans to develop the largest mixed-use development project in West Virginia history. The site offers the opportunity to foster residential, commercial, industrial, recreational and educational development in southern West Virginia. The State of West Virginia is actively promoting available property for industrial development.
State’s Strong Commitment to Next Steps
The Rock Creek Development Park project is a significant undertaking, but the State of West Virginia is committed to bringing this vision to fruition. Next step plans for development include:
Become a Partner
The Rock Creek Development Park project represents vast potential to bring about economic restructuring in the southern region of West Virginia, a region that has been affected by the downturn of the coal industry. This project holds great potential for both the region and investors as we chart a brighter course for the Mountain State.
Stay up to date with the latest news about Rock Creek Development Park.
Contact for Media:
Chelsea A. Ruby
Director of Marketing and Communications
West Virginia Department of Commerce